Friday, January 23, 2009

Are you freaking kidding me?

Okay. I just have to tell you all how incredibly disappointed I am. It seems that Mexico does not get NBC (at least not that I could find). That wasn't too bad, because I forgot to look until AFTER The Office had started last night, so I wouldn't have been able to watch it anyway. But just now I got on NBC.com, because they put all the new episodes online, and I got to the page with all the videos, and I waited for it to load... and it had a little error message that said, "We're sorry, but the clip you selected isn't available from your location. Please select another clip."
So. Apparently the Mexican government does not want its people to watch The Office. I can't help but wonder why. Is it because of Oscar? Maybe they were offended when Michael threw him the welcome back fiesta, and it was full of ridiculous stereotypes? Ugh. I mean, we've been talking about corruption in the government, but I thought it had to do with gasoline and drug cartels, not paper production! *sigh*
Anyway, to those of you who don't get The Office references- it's okay, I forgive you :)

So I have homework tonight! Yay! (Not.) It's actually DUE tonight, which is why I'm not out with my friends right now. But that's okay, we're all going to Taxco tomorrow (Silver Capital of Mexico!), so we'll have plenty of time to bond. I'm excited to go, because I haven't been anywhere but school since Tuesday, really. I've been doing that thing where I hole myself up in the house and read. I'm getting kind of sick of it, though, so I think that means I'm getting accustomed to life here in Mexico. Still a little nervous about going out at night, but I think next time everyone goes out, I will, too. It won't be bad if we're in a big group.

Anyway, back to my homework. I learned something cool! We're talking about the Golden Age of Mexican Film, and the director I'm writing about, Emilio "El Indio" Fernández (maybe some of you have heard of him... he's really famous, and I'm pretty sure I had heard of him before this report) is the guy they used to model for the Oscar statue! Cool, no?

Well, I don't really have much else to say tonight. Nothing too exciting happened this week. I'm sure I'll have much to report tomorrow, along with some more pictures.

Hope all is going well!

Love,
Allison

PS: If I hadn't just watched all the seasons of The West Wing, I would have been REALLY surprised at how much Obama seems to be accomplishing in these first few days in office. But, of course, I know that a president really only has 100 days to accomplish anything. Thank goodness for TV.

No comments: